People show an increasing tendency towards having their very own wind turbines for generating their very own electricity as well as for reducing their contribution to environmental problems as a result of carbon based energy sources.
Wind turbines as well as their operation
A wind turbine is a machine that can convert the kinetic energy in the wind into electrical energy. Blowing wind rotates the blades from the turbine as well as the mechanism within it can generate electricity upon this rotation. Wind turbines have mainly 2 types. Horizontal axis and vertical axis wind turbines. Both of them have pros and cons but horizontal axis ones tend to be more common as a result of higher efficiency.
Individual wind turbines
Individual turbines can be utilized for a number of purposes which range from supplying energy for some small electrical devices where grid connection is not really possible to meeting portion of the energy need for a home, a farm or even a production facility. Individual generation systems can be standalone or grid connected. The power output from a standalone Small Wind Turbine can be directly used. However, in grid connected systems excess electricity produced can be supplied to the national grid system. In Ireland, you will get opportunity to be purchased the excess electricity you supply for the grid up to 500kW. Individual wind turbines can range from no more than 50W to the size of 3 MW, based on their function of use.
Individual wind turbines for domestic use
Unlike large industrial wind turbines, these turbines have smaller dimensions which make them appropriate for using in relatively smaller areas. Their capacities range from no more than 50 watts to up to 50 kilowatts along with their prices vary based on their sizes, types and manufacturers.
What to do for installing a small wind generation system?
* First of all you need to decide whether you really need a tiny scale wind turbine for the energy needs. Sometimes just saving some energy can lower your debts but if the reason behind considering a small turbine will be in off-grid areas you can go to the other steps.
* Inspect your web site or perhaps your building (for rooftop turbines) to view whether it be suitable for installing a wind turbine. You ought to have enough space to set up a turbine with no wind being blocked by other buildings or obstacles.
* Determine your power needs. Your electricity bills will likely be your best references.
* Check if the spot you may install your turbine is windy enough. You can always find wind measurement data in wind energy associations’ websites to your area.
* Based on your power requirement and the wind potential in the area, decide the capability and type in the turbine you will need.
* Your small scale wind system is expected to possess a ROI duration of maximum fifteen years. Economic lifetime of the small wind turbine without changing the key elements is estimated to be about 20 years and proper maintenance increases this. However, maintenance needs of small wind turbines are required to become minimal.
* Get any permits required in your town.
* You will probably require a contractor for erection, assembly, electrical connections of your own wind turbine. However, if your turbine is micro scale, you can do these jobs on your own as well. You can find domestic scale wind turbines and also 400W or 1 kW self installed turbines and accessories on windturbines.ie.
Individual wind turbines for industrial uses, i.e. factory sites
Turbines for industrial uses have capacities between 500kW to 3 MW. It is possible to create electricity for wind speeds between 3 m/s and 25 m/s. For times that the wind is not blowing, one can still get electricity from your grid. This will lead to additional revenue along with your reduced electricity bills.
Steps towards a wind turbine installation in your factory site:
The steps that needs to be created for installing an industrial scale wind turbine are approximately just like those for installing a domestic turbine. The sole difference is because they require more expertise. So it would be a smart idea to take a turnkey service from a specialist company in order not to experience any problems. The stages to get a turbine installation are outlined below:
* Wind Measurement: As the annual electricity generation depends mainly on wind speed, this step is of vital importance to be able to forecast your power production. You can never know what you would generate not understanding whatever you have in hand.
* Feasibility studies: This is a detailed study to let you know rskxmv your proposed system will be a feasible project or otherwise.
* Grid connection studies: This step assesses grid connection possibilities for your proposed wind turbine.
* Permission: Planning and installing of your wind turbine will demand some permits on planning stage and during installation. Failure to have these permits may result in legal enforcement.
* Project budget planning: What you will have to spend for the wind turbine project from starting out the final is an important item in every kind of preparing for business.
* Procurement, commissioning and installation: All of your equipment and staff needs for a turnkey project.
* Post-sales services: Issues like warranty, technical service, and maintenance.